Lacking physique of a ship driver discovered between Miami and Miami Seashore

The Coast Guard released a photo of the 32-foot speedboat found near the Julia Tuttle Causeway on Tuesday evening, November 9, 2021.  The 36-year-old man who drove the boat was reported missing.

The Coast Guard released a photo of the 32-foot speedboat found near the Julia Tuttle Causeway on Tuesday evening, November 9, 2021. The 36-year-old man who drove the boat was reported missing.

The body of Reynier Moreno – a boater reported missing earlier this week – was found in the waters of the bay near the Julia Tuttle Causeway on Friday morning, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

“Our deepest condolences go to Mr. Moreno’s family and friends,” said Ronald Washington, an agency spokesman. “The FWC will be investigating this boating accident thoroughly.”

Moreno, 36, was reported missing Tuesday night from the Pelican Harbor Marina area near the 79th Street Causeway. He took a 32-foot speedboat for a test drive and never returned.

The boat was later recovered near the Julia Tuttle Causeway – which connects Miami to Miami Beach and is about four miles south of the 79th Street Causeway – but it was not found.

Reynier Moren_fitted.jpeg Reynier Moreno US Coast Guard

The Coast Guard, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, and other agencies began a search for Moreno in Biscayne Bay.

Around 2:40 a.m., a good Samaritan discovered a body and called 911, the coast guard announced. Several agencies, including Miami Beach Fire Rescue and Miami Fire Rescue, responded.

His body was taken to the coroner’s office, the Miami Fire Rescue said.

A friend of Moreno’s posted about the discovery a few hours later.

“Really heartbroken about this terrible news about our friend Rey,” his friend wrote on Facebook. “We lost a real one. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. “

This story was originally published November 12, 2021 12:50 p.m.

Carli Teproff grew up in northeast Miami-Dade and graduated from Florida International University in 2003. She became a full-time reporter for the Miami Herald in 2005 and is now covering the breaking news.

Comments are closed.