Demolish the Deauville in Miami Seaside, inspectors say
MIAMI BEACH, Fla. – A historic building in Miami Beach can be history.
The city says it inspected the Deauville Beach Resort itself and that its experts agree with the report by the structural engineer hired by the building’s owner.
This report states that the Collins Avenue landmark is unsafe and cannot be saved due to structural defects.
However, the Miami Beach City Commission met Thursday, and all commissioners say they want the building to be preserved if possible.
Built in 1957, the Deauville was once an attraction for the famous.
It was in the hotel’s Napoleon Ballroom that the Beatles gave one of their first American performances in 1964.
The property has a unique architectural style and has become a South Florida cultural landmark.
“A very sad day for the City of Miami Beach and the historic preservation community throughout South Florida,” said Miami Beach Assistant City Manager Eric Carpenter.
display
However, preservationists do not believe this is a done deal and they hope the building can still be saved.
“This could be a case of neglect-related demolition,” said Daniel Ciraldo of the Miami Design Preservation League. “It means these owners may be intentionally letting this building fall into disrepair so they can demolish it and potentially replace it with a high-rise. That’s not what Miami Beach is about. We care about preserving our history and as such we want to ensure that all the right steps are taken to protect this landmark.”
The city management holds the property owner responsible for the sinking. They hope that a judge and the owner will allow them to do another report and say that the owner has not been cooperative so far.
Conservationists are trying to save the Deauville Beach Resort on Collins Avenue, where the Beatles played and the famous once congregated on Miami Beach.
Local 10 News has contacted the owner’s attorney and has received no response.
In a letter to the commission and Mayor Dan Gelber, city manager Alina Hudak indicates they are out of options, saying there have been years of enforcement and litigation at the property, including $1.7 million in fines -Dollar.
display
“After years of enforcement actions and litigation, including over $1.7 million in fines, the owner has finally submitted the required structural health assessment report,” she wrote in this letter Wednesday. “Unfortunately, this report makes it clear that the building is unsafe and cannot be saved due to structural defects.”
Conservationists say the property was purchased in 2004 for $4 million, but they believe the land alone is now worth $100 million.
“We would say that the community value, the history and the memories are worth even more there,” Ciraldo said.
Read the following letter from the City Manager:
Copyright 2022 by WPLG Local10.com – All rights reserved.
Comments are closed.