Contractors, employees protest at 2 a.m. on final name in Miami Seaside – NBC 6 South Florida

In true Miami Beach fashion, dozens of Mangoes packed Tropical Cafe on Wednesday to protest – in the form of a celebration – against the withdrawn last call for alcohol at 2 a.m.

The city passed the 2 a.m. rollback earlier this year to slow crime, but suspended enforcement this summer following a ruling by a judge.

“I don’t think it’s going to be an efficient way of solving the problem,” said Elizabeth Martinez, a Miami Beach homeowner.

Voters will make their voices heard on this issue in a referendum in November.

Some say it won’t curb crime but think it will curb business.

“Basically, it showed it wasn’t working,” said Alex Ruiz, director of Mango’s Tropical Cafe. “The only people who were affected were the people who worked. You speak of the performers, the artists, the waitresses. “

Other Miami Beach business owners, like Mitch Novick, disagree.

“Every day all evening through chaos and chaos,” said Novick, who also shared a video of the police outside of his business on Sunday evening.

Novick says this is the reality of nightly alcohol sales and believes the withdrawals are overdue.

“I hope the city’s voters will not be fooled by major entertainment interests again,” he said.

The last call at 2 a.m. is the first step in Mayor Dan Gelber’s 12-point plan to reduce crime.

“The beach in Miami, especially in this area, which is kind of a party district, is just no longer wearable,” said Gelber. “An unbelievable amount of disorder and, unfortunately, crime also comes from this area.”

Gelber says if voters approve of the rollback, he believes the commissioners will follow suit and pass regulations to make it a reality. He is standing for re-election next month.

Comments are closed.